How to Create Custom Header Menu on WordPress
Scenario: So you just created a WordPress website (wordpress.com or wordpress.org) and whenever you publish a post, it just appears on the home page. You want to sort each article by their category such as all posts about SEO goes under the SEO tab and all Social Media posts go under the Social MediHow to a tab on the top menu bar. However, the only problem is that you can only add pages to the top header menu bar. Confused? Lost? I’ve been there before and I’m here to help.
Step by step on how to create custom header menu bar on WordPress
Whether you created a free blog with WordPress.com or downloaded WordPress as the CMS from WordPress.org, it works the same way.
- On the menu/navigation bar on the left hand side, hover over “Posts” and click on “Categories.”
- Create different categories for your posts. Enter the name you would want to appear on the header menu bar. Click on Add New Category
- Once you finished creating different categories for each of your posts, hover over “Appearance” and click on “Menus.”
- Enter a “Menu Name” and click on “Create Menu.”
- Under “Theme Locations” click on the drop down arrow for “Main Menu” and choose the menu you just created. Click Save.
- Click on the check boxes of “Pages” and “Categories” you want to be on the header menu bar and click “Add to Menu.”
- Drag and Drop to arrange the position of your menu bar. If you want to make a certain category as a sub-menu, simply drag and drop it under the top-level category (make sure it has an indent). Save Menu.
- Preview your website and you should have your custom header menu bar